tudents with nutrition-related health concerns can schedule an individual consultation with a registered dietitian at UHS. Our dietitian works closely with the UHS medical and counseling staff to ensure consistency and quality of care.
Common reasons that students see a dietitian:
- Medical diagnosis with significant nutrition implications including diabetes, hypoglycemia, heart disease, high blood pressure and/or high cholesterol
- Food and body image concerns
- Eating disorder
- Weight management (interest in losing or gaining weight)
- Digestive problems like food allergies, lactose intolerance, celiac disease, irritable bowel, and colitis
- Vegetarian or vegan diet advice
- Family history of nutrition-related disease
- Recent appetite changes
- Vitamin or mineral deficiency related to diet
- Nutritional analysis - you want to get feedback on your diet and eat smarter
It can be helpful to have a referral from a healthcare provider or counselor, but referrals are not required.
Our dietitian will first seek to understand your concerns and then help you develop a personalized plan based upon your individual nutrition needs and dietary preferences, whether you are a vegan, a committed meat-eater, or anywhere in between. She can also help you identify other resources to help you meet your long-term nutritional needs.