The Student Health Advisory Committee (SHAC) is made up of members selected through an application and interview process, as well as Graduate Student Assembly, Student Government, and Senate of College Councils appointees. The diverse membership includes international and graduate students and students from a variety of backgrounds, interests and majors.
SHAC relays student health concerns to UHS administrators for quality improvement of care, participates actively in UHS-sponsored events and strives to better our campus' health by organizing campus-wide events. SHAC provides the essential link between the student body and University Health Services.
The SHAC membership meets once a week to plan events, present relevant health topics, hear from university guest speakers, and handle other administrative tasks.
Why choose SHAC?
As a member of the Student Health Advisory Committee, you will have the opportunity to:
- Develop insight into healthcare in a college setting
- Work directly with UHS management and serve on UHS committees
- Represent UT at regional and national college health conferences
- Develop leadership skills
- Enhance your professional development
- Meet fellow students and UHS staff
- Participate in the interview process for healthcare providers and other applicants to UHS
SHAC is now accepting spring 2015 membership applications. The spring application deadline is Friday November 7th at 11:59 pm. Click the link below to apply.
SHAC has been involved in a wide range of activities, including:
- Developing a promotional video to advertise the services offered by UHS.
- Suggesting the 24-hour Nurse Advice Line, which is available to students 24 hours a day, every day of the year.
- Initiating the UHS Clinic Volunteer program to give students hands-on experience on campus in the healthcare field.
- Participating and presenting at several American College Health Association annual meetings as representatives of UHS.
- Implementing patient satisfaction surveys.
- Interviewing healthcare provider and other candidates for UHS.
- Volunteering at UHS - sponsored programs around campus.
- Coordinating an annual event "Bagels and Lox with Students and Docs," which facilitates student and UHS healthcare provider interaction in a fun, relaxed setting.
- Initiating annual Town Hall meeting where students may discuss their ideas and concerns with UHS administration on a timely topic.
- Raising public awareness and support for the Medical Services Fee cap in 1999 to maintain and improve the services offered by UHS.
2013-2014 SHAC Officers
Maria Alvarenga, President
Suchith Vuppala, Vice President
Matthew Kim, Secretary
Alex Ryden, Treasurer
Kristine Lam, Historian
Hope Griffin, Communications Director
Meredith Labrasca, Officer Liaison
Lina Mahmood, Officer Liaison
Paulina Wynkoop, Officer Liaison