Do I Have a Problem With Alcohol or Drugs?
Take a look at the following symptoms and ask yourself honestly, "Do some of these apply to me?" Keep in mind that almost no one has them all.
- My drinking or drug use sometimes causes problems.
- I sometimes set limits on the amount I will drink or use and then exceed those limits.
- I sometimes make promises to myself or someone else about drinking and drugging and then break those promises.
- I sometimes lie about or try to hide the frequency and/or amount of my drinking or drug use.
- I sometimes forget or deny things that happen when I was intoxicated or high on drugs.
- I sometimes behave very differently when intoxicated or high on drugs than when sober or clean, almost as if I'm a different person.
- I sometimes tend to avoid social functions where alcohol and/or drugs may not be available.
- I've embarrassed, angered, or frightened other people when I was drunk or high.
- I have a very high tolerance − that is, I can drink a lot without acting or feeling highly intoxicated.
- I sometimes feel guilty, embarrassed, or remorseful about things I said or did while intoxicated or high on drugs.
- I occasionally drink or use drugs in the morning or early in the day to treat a hangover or to avoid the shakes or other withdrawal symptoms.
How many "yes" answers do you need to diagnosis a problem? It depends. If you answered "yes" to one or more, then it may be worth taking a closer look.